Nothing

People keep asking me what I'm going to do now that I've graduated with my Master's.  When I tell them the truth I see their bright eyes and smile falter and fade into a frown of confusion.  They keep expecting to hear grand plans filled with success not the truth.  Because the truth isn't fill with excitement but cold, hard, bitter reality.  The answer is, "I don't really know." 

Three years ago when I started the Master's program I was sure I was finally on my way to achieving one of my future goals.  I was going to teach at a Junior College.  Then last year I got it into my head to go onto to get my PhD which is a goal I still want to achieve but I don't know how soon that will actually happen, if it will happen at all.

The job market is pretty dry right now and only the cream of the crop seem to be getting any real teaching jobs.  I don't have any real teaching experience because unlike my fellow Graduate students I worked a full time day job while I went to school.  This means I didn't get to teach classes like the other Graduate assistants.  I'm not bitter, just stating the facts.  So, the best place for me right now financially is in my job as a secretary.  I don't hate the job but I am tired of it and ready to move on. 

It was suggested that I work as an adjunct in my department but I don't think that would happened and if it did it'd be very uncomfortable.  I won't go into detail but I got caught in the middle of office politics and it seems the only person who got really burned was me.  So, trying to work in that department wouldn't be a great experience and asking for a reference letter is going to be a very difficult.  Also, most adjuncts are part timers, which means no benefits and because of my allergy problems I spend a lot of time and money on doctors and medication to combat it.  So, I need the insurance.   

It's not that I'm not thinking about it and haven't looked around at various junior college website, I have a few "leads" and I've been given some information on how to make teaching as an adjunct work.  However, for the time being, "nothing" is my answer to the questions, "Now what?"     

Comments