MiO

Mio-Sassy Gay Friend <~~~ click to watch video. 

So, the first time I saw this skit I couldn’t help but shake my head and agree, “Yes, indeed, Sassy Gay Friend you have become a sellout.” The skit was still humorous but by adding a blatant product placement it managed to lose some of its flair. Even the funny Facebook status admitting to being a sellout didn’t help. Also, “the New liquid water enchancer” line made me snicker. We already know water is a liquid, even when it’s frozen it’s still a liquid…a frozen liquid. Also, it’s really not enhancing the water. The water isn’t suddenly packed with extra vitamins and minerals. MiO just flavors the water.

All that being said I will be the first to admit I’m a hypocrite because right after I watched it and passed my judgment I started thinking about trying the stuff. For the most part, I don’t mind drinking plain H2O but in the area I live the water changes its flavor depending on the season. Which means the water can be a bit disgusting, even if it is filtered.

Now, I do drink bottled water from time to time but I’m also environmentally conscious so I tend to feel guilty when I see how many bottles I have to throw away (the recycling plant stopped recycling plastic. I don’t know why but they did).

Also, sometimes I just want to some flavor and I’m trying to cut back on my intake of coke which is my go to drug of choice. I figure if I drink more flavored water I can stave off my soda addiction. I have been known to drink Vitamin water but looking at the label I realize that the amount of calories and such isn’t too far from drinking a coke. So why not drink a damn coke?

I’m digressing…there are a lot of different products out there to help make water more pallitable to those who don’t like plain water and I’ve tried a handful of them. Most of them have Saccharin and dextrose (Sweet’n Low) or aspartame, dextrose and maltodextrin (Equal). Both of these are pretty bad for you and taste even worse, at least, in my opinion. The taste is really my biggest issue with them. It coats my tongue and makes everything I eat or drink seem chalking and disgusting.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my friend Steph had two flavors on her kitchen counter and I asked her about them. She said that they were good and didn’t leave a bad taste. So, while I was visiting my mother for the Easter holiday I decided to try MiO. I bought fruit punch flavor while I was at the grocery store with my mother.

This is what I found on the label:

Nutrition Facts Serv Size:
1/24 bottle (2 mL/about ½ tsp), Serving 24, Amount Per Serving: Calories 0, Total Fat 0g (0% DV), Sodium 0mg (0% DV), Total Carb 0g (0% DV), Sugars 0g, Protein 0g. Not a significant source of Fat Cal, Sat Fat, Trans Fat, Cholest, Fiber. Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron. Precent Daily Vialues (DV) are based on 2,000 Calorie Diet.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, contains less than 2% of Natural flavor, sucralose and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).

So after reading the label I did a quick search on suralose and acesulfame potassium and found that are what make up Splenda and Sweet One neither of which leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
I enlisted my mother to be an additional taste tester. I squirted some MiO into our glasses of what and we tried it. I really liked it. My mother complained that it tasted like very weak Kool-Aide which I’ve found is the case with a lot of water flavorings. The good thing about MiO is you can add as little or as much as you want. So in theory you could add enough to make the water taste more like Kool-aid than water.

I’ve only tried the Fruit Punch flavor of MiO but there are a couple other flavors as well. There’s Berry Pomegranate, Mango Peach, Peach Tea, Sweet Tea, and Strawberry Watermelon. I’m not really a mango or peach person so I probably won’t try those any time soon but I’m headed to the grocery store to grab some of the Berry Pomegranate.

Comments