Becoming a Rape Advocate -- Day 1


Last Friday I went to my first training class to become a rape advocate.  Training is a month long processes, meeting once a week for several hours.  Friday was one of two all day trainings.  And it was packed with information.  Some of you might be asking what a rape advocate does and if it’s paying job.  To answer the second question first, it’s a volunteer position and while it does not pay monetarily he does pay in other better ways.  The answer to the first question is a lot harder than it sounds.  A rape advocate is there for the victim, holding their hand and giving them unconditional support throughout the process. 
After my assault, I felt very alone, confused, and scared.  I didn’t know what to do or who to talk to about what had happen to me.  I didn’t have a rape advocate.  I didn’t even know what that was and I’m still not sure if that was even a thing back when I was assaulted.  I do know that I wish I’d had someone to talk to, to hold my hand, and to be there next to me unconditionally.  So now, as a survivor, I want to be that person for others, so they don’t have to be alone like I was at that time. 
I am scared that I might not be able to do a good job or that the memories of what happened to me will come back and interfere with my abilities.  However, I feel the training and seeing my therapist to talk through my thoughts and feelings will help me over the hurdles. 
As I said it was filled with a lot of info, I thought I’d share some of that here.  As most of these were quick notes I took I might be lacking locations but where possible I will note where the trainers found the information.    
In Texas
  • It is illegal to have sex under the age of 17.
  • It is illegal to have sex with someone who is under the influence – drugs and/or alcohol.
  • It is illegal to have sex with someone with a mental disability that prevents them from understanding and giving consent. 
In General
  • 18,112 cases of sexual assault were reported in 2017.
  • There is a 4% to 8% chance a child is lying and only 2%-8% chance that an adult is fabricating a sexual assault.  That means between 92%-98% are telling the truth. 
 This month is Sexual Assault Awareness month.  The ribbon color is teal.  To learn more you can visit the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. 

Comments