Being Hemingway

I just finished reading The Sun Also Rises and like many before me I’ve decided that I want to be Hemingway.  Right after that cliché realization I had the even more cliché realization that I probably never will be.  To paraphrase one of my professors, “Writers want to be Hemingway and they try and usually fail but they take away from Hemingway the ability to recognize and see how he succeeds and where they fail.”  And before anyone takes her remark the wrong way I feel I must defend her.  I may never be able turn a phrase, reveal just 1/8 of the iceberg or repeat the same words and phrase without it reading strange but I can see that it is possible and gives me as well as other writers something to strive for.   

****This was actually written about 2 weeks ago in anticipation of getting my Blog up and running****

Comments