The Infamous Chris Edwards

This is my friend Chris.  I took this picture last June at one of his gigs.  He’s an awesome Americana/Folk musician.  He likes to say he’s just a songwriter who can pick a tune on a guitar.  He doesn’t give himself enough credit. 

When Chris speaks his words come out in a long, low whisper tinged with a Texas accent.  I’ve never heard him raise his voice even when he’s pissed.  Some people don’t think he ever really gets pissed off but he does.  It just takes a lot for him to get there.  I think his philosophy is, “Anything worth saying is worth taking the time to say.”  Too many people in this world don’t take the time to really think and feel before they speak.  They speak too quickly and end up spending more time trying to correct their mistakes.

Chris is my BFF, a term he hates but I love to sling it out at him every once in a while.  He thinks it’s a term in need of mocking.  It doesn’t annoy me half as much as him but I do give it a good jab from time to time.  I love all my friends but sometimes he’s the only one I feel completely comfortable saying anything and everything to without him taking offense, becoming defensive or passing judgment.  That’s not to say that if I’m being a bitch to him he doesn’t say anything but he usually wrinkles his brow, thinks about his retort, says it and moves on.  He doesn’t hold grudges, taking it out like a water globe, shaking it, looking through the glass, examining every inch, taking account of every fake snowflake.  He just says what he has to say and moves on.  I think that’s fucking awesome and I wish I was more like that. 

We have a lot of shared interests, pets especially cats, Literature, we’re both Grad students in English, and political views, we’re both Liberals, although I think he’s much more liberal than I am.  We have our differences.  Chris dislikes a lot of technology, up until about a year ago he refused to get on Facebook.  He finally did and the Internet is slowly winning him over, he even has a website to promote his music http://www.chrismedwards.com/.  I doubt he’ll ever become a computer geek.  He also doesn’t watch a lot of television or movies.  I’m the opposite.  I watch a lot of video.  Chris says I’m more visually orientated and he’s more sound orientated.  I think it comes out in our writing styles.  We’re both writers of sorts.  He mainly writes lyrics and poetry while I write nonfiction and sometimes fiction.  Chris says I’m a really good poet.  I disagree. 

Comments

  1. So neat! I got here thru an old roommate who knows Chris.
    I miss seeing him play at Bullfrog's on Tuesdays, and his songs and stories like the Kitchen Door song and the one about the heavy metal band in Denton. So good to know he is doing well. I always thought of him as the Arlo Guthrie or Bob Dylan of East Texas.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let Chris know that you commented on the blog about him, so he can check it out :). Be sure to check out my Links tab for his website. He's gotten pretty good about updating it for dates and places he'll be playing. I know he's got a lot of summer dates coming up.

    --Weesha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment