A Few Thoughts on Trayvon Martin

Like many people in the U.S., I have been following the Trayvon Martin story as it unfolds.  Many have started to make something of the fact that the shooter, Zimmerman, may be half Latino.  Being half white and half Latino I feel that I can speak on this. 

Much is being made of the color of the perpatrator's skin color when in truth it has little bearing on the issue.  Our focus should be completely on the skin color of the victim, Trayvon.  I've learned that people who hate on the bases of color can be any race.  As I understand it, a hate crime is defined as a crime committed against a victim of a different race from the attacker.  I've known white, brown and black racists.  So, it doesn't really matter what color Zimmerman is because the witnesses who heard Trayvon's pleas for help were white and Latino.  And these same people stood next to Trayvon's parents during a press conference and told their story.  They want justice just like everyone else who knows that what happened is a crime.     

Comments