"I Won't Give Up"

Have you heard this song? More importantly have you seen the official lyric video version of the song? I've seen both and the later pisses me off the most.


It doesn't piss me off because I hate the song or Mraz, in fact, I love him and the song is beautiful.  It's just that "I Won't Give Up" is one of those songs that makes you wonder if you've made the right decisions, done enough or given up to early on a relationship/person. 

Perhaps, the lyric video version affects me more because they words are scattered across envelopes, slips of paper and boxes.  There's this worn, travelled feeling to the video and as Mraz sings and the music plays, I feel like I'm looking back at someone's relationship journey.  It makes me think about my own relationship with someone. 

I've gone back and forth with the same person for fifteen long years, nearly half my life.  He's left and come back countless times and every time I've forgiven him and taken him back.  I know in my head that I've done everything I could do.  So, when the lyrics, "I don't want to be someone who walks away so easily/ I'm here to stay to make the difference I can make" I can't help but feel in my heart that maybe I gave up too soon.  Did I walk away too easily?  Did I give up on us?  Him?  When is it time to give up and move on?  And how does someone really do that?  I've been trying for fifteen years and if he called this moment --much to my wonderful friends' dismays--I'd forgive him.  When there are songs like this one --singing about not giving up-- how do you give up, walk away, stop loving someone?  

Comments

  1. You don't stop loving someone. If you do, you actually never did love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think you ever really stop loving someone if you ever did love that person. on walking away sometimes its a matter of saving your own sanity, or saving yourself, to stop enabling the other person for thier repeated action. for example your "repeatedly forgiving him". I dont think its necessarily a bad thing if you have walked away. maybe the more important question is why did you walk away... if today you would forgive and and go back maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment