Jenifer

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Jenifer.  She started out as one of the students in the organization I advice on my university's campus but with time I've become very close to her.  I see Jenifer as more than just one of my students or a friend.  She's the younger sister I didn't know I wanted or needed.  She is an inspiration to me. 

I wish that when I'd been her age I had been as passionate a person.  When I was twenty-one, I was just going through the motions, taking classes, going to work.  I didn't really know what I wanted or cared about in life, past the person I was dating, the movies I wanted to see and the clothes & shoes I wanted to buy.  Yes, I dreamed about being a writer but I never really had the confidence to push myself forward.  Although, she doubts herself at times,  she is so confident.  Sometimes, she just needs someone to reminder her of what she already knows.     

Jenifer has always been a passionate person and it's one of the things I love and admire about her the most.  I know that she's had some problems with her passion.  She's been told that she's "too passionate" which makes her doubt herself.  I imagine her sitting in her room or lying in bed at night, thinking about how to change that aspect of herself.  Imagining that she can stifle it, control it, so that she can  make others happy and avoid criticism.  But the moment she hears of an injustice or reads something profound about Latino issues/culture the flames of her passion are stoked and she's off and nothing, not even her own attempts at control can stop her.

And the thing is, she shouldn't stop herself or even try because our passions are what makes us, what drives us.  Those who would label us "too passionate" feel guilty or jealous that they aren't passionate enough or are just frightened that they don't seem to have any passion.  To those people I would say, "don't worry you'll find your passion and when you do you'll understand Jenifer.  Until then don't criticize her."

To Jenifer, I would say what I always say, "Don't doubt your passions.  They are part of what makes you, you.  You need them like you need air to breath.  Never stop being passionate."

I love you and always will. 

Comments

Post a Comment